Community Service at Wiregrass Ranch High
Student Community Service (Volunteer) Reporting
Bright Futures Paid Work Hours Verification Form
Bright Futures Step by Step Application
Revised Community Service Form 2022-2023
Preapproved Community Service Opportunities 2022-2023
Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program
Student Community Service hours are required for the Florida Academic Scholars Award level of the Bright Futures program. Although no other level requires these hours, there are several other scholarship opportunities that do require, or look favorably upon students that have documented volunteer hours. Pasco County Schools Student Support Programs and Services-About the Program.
To access an award through the Bright Futures Program, a student must complete a program of community service work, as approved by the school, which will require the student to identify a social problem that interests him or her, develop a plan for his or her personal involvement in addressing the problem, and through papers or other presentations, evaluate and reflect upon his or her experience.(Florida Statute 1009.534)
How do I report community service hours?
You may select to use the printable form or the electronic form.
If you elect to use the printable form, it must be turned into Student Services WITH a letterhead from the agency or organization where the hours are completed at.
If you elect to use the electronic form, you must have a device that will allow the supervisor to sign the form, such as a smart phone or tablet.
Once you have completed the volunteer hours, fill out the form, have the supervisor approve and sign the form. Turn in the completed form to Mrs. Hensley.
Guidelines for Community Service Hours and Volunteer Information
What is Community Service?
An altruistic, uncompensated volunteer effort that benefits the community and/or special populations.
What is Volunteer Service?
Assistance that does not address a social issue.
These hours are not recorded on the transcript and do not count toward Bright Futures Scholarships
Students can keep a log of these activities for use when applying for college, job applications, awards and scholarships other than Bright Futures
Students may turn these hours into their school volunteer coordinator for school or individual recognition.
How do I ensure that my community service hours will be accepted?
Students complete a Community Service Proposal Form and submit it for approval to the Community Service Designee at the school site prior to beginning the service. Students should keep copies of all documentation that is submitted to the schools.
Projects done during the summer before beginning 9th grade will be considered if a proposal is submitted and approved by the high school the student plans to attend.
Students must perform the service during non-school hours.
All community service hour documentation MUST be submitted by the school’s graduation date. Any community service hours submitted after the graduation date even if earned prior to graduation will not be accepted. No Exceptions.
Hours not acceptable for Community Service
- Family related activities or service to family members, defined as: parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, and spouses, including all step relations.
- Hours that are compensated either financially or with some other material benefit (including grades).
- Court mandated community service.
- Service for the sole benefit of a religious house of worship and/or its congregation. Activities sponsored by these organizations that benefit the community (mission trips, community cleanup events, vacation Bible School) are acceptable for Bright Futures.
- Co-curricular activities that are course requirements.
- An activity where there is no leader or responsible adult on site to evaluate and confirm student performance.
- Donations (ex. blood, Locks of Love, monetary contributions)
- Hours submitted after graduation